Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fire at the Fair


Every year since I was about 10 years old, I would pack up and move out of my house to my "home away from home" for a week at the end of July/beginning of August.  My aunt and uncle has a cabin at the Neshoba County Fairgrounds, and my mother trusted them completely to look after me for for the duration. 

I never remember my mother lamenting over the fact that someone might harm me while I was there, that I might get lost, homesick, lonely, or anything of the sort. 

What I do remember her saying is, "What if there's a fire?"  "Do you realize how fast it would spread from cabin to cabin?" 

Of course, I didn't give it a second thought and year after year went on without a worry in my mind.  Of course, as you get older you do start worrying about things such as this, but for the thousands of fairgoers, the fairgrounds seem to be a haven of protection from crime (well, except the fights that break out really late at night) and Mother Nature (well, except for the annual rainfall that make playing football in the middle of the racetrack a muddy, fun mess). 

This week my mother's nightmare happened, somewhat.  There was a fire, but thankfully not during fair week.  What if it had been during the fair?  I can't let my mind go there, and I'm sure you understand why. 

For more pictures of the fire, visit the Clarion-Ledger's website. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

They had uncle ray's cabin listed in the paper as having damages. Those cabins burned right across the road from them.I havent heard anything else about it...if it was windows out or just smoke damage. John and Janell's cabin did have windows broken out because they are the next row over from the fire and smoke damage. Ms. Janell was really upset. I havent went to look yet but I probably will at some point.

Wendy