Friday, March 11, 2011

E-Mealz, Part 2

We're finishing up our second week using E-Mealz, and I thought I would update you on how it's going.

On Sundays, I go to the E-Mealz website and print out the menu for the following week.  The menu is for 7 meals, and I choose the 5 that is the best for my family.  I have noticed (but remember, I've only seen 2 menus so far) that there does seem to be a pattern in the meals.  For example, both weeks there has been a pasta dish, a beef meal, a chicken meal, a fish meal, a soup, etc.  I don't know if this is true for every single week, but it's true for the 2 weeks I've been doing it.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I'm just recognizing that pattern. 

I absolutely love having a list prepared for me.  It's super-duper easy.  It takes a few minutes to go through and mark off things you don't need (from the meals you've chosen not to make), but to me, it's nice 'cuz it feels like with everything I mark off, I'm saving money. 

But that brings me to the down side - money.    The prices they list are not the prices I have found at my local Kroger.  There is a disclaimer at the top of the list that the prices are based on average Kroger prices in Alabama, Tennessee, and a few other states.  Mississippi is not one of them.  And as I'm sure you can probably guess, the prices are higher in my local Kroger, not lower.  With that said, I'm not seeing a big savings in my grocery bill.  And remember, their list does not include things like milk, cereal, juice boxes, snacks, etc.  (I would be curious to know if lists based on Wal-Mart prices are any more accurate.  If anyone tries this with Wal-Mart, please let me know - - I just might switch)

The recipes are easy to fix - - I do not consider myself a good cook, but these recipes are easy even for me.  I like that it has offered me new things to try.  I felt like I was in a real rut when it came to cooking, but this has given me a few new options.  Just like night, I broiled cut up squash, zucchini, bell pepper, and onion as a side dish.  My family "eeewwwd" at the squash and zucchini, but I thought it was delicious. 

I'm making notes on the menus as to whether or not that particular meal was a hit or a bust with the fam.  That way if it comes up again on a later menu, I can decide whether or not to include it in our menu.  There's only been one bust so far, and at this moment I can't remember the name of it, but it was a tomatoey-chicken dish over rice.  It was okay to me, but Brad and the kids could barely down it. 

The only other thing I would have to say is this.  If you were raised like I was - on peas and cornbread - you won't find any of that kind of food here.  There's no fried chicken and turnip green meals (that I've seen yet anyway!)  But of course, you can substitute your fresh-from-the-garden peas for any side they've chosen whenever you feel like it!

Overall, I'm liking E-Mealz a bunch.  The convenience is definitely what I like the most.  I don't know how long I'll use it, but for now I almost get giddy when I go to the computer to see what we'll be eating! 

I know, I'm weird!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I think their Walmart menus do tend to be more accurate on prices nationwide since most Walmarts except for "neighborhood" Walmarts are the same across the board. Hope that helps!
Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com