Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mavala - Will It Work?

ADDENDUM:  The sleepless nights I was expecting never came to pass!  Poptart is doing great!  I don't want to jinx it, but I think we may be past the thumb-sucking era.  She has even decided to give up puppy.  And for those of you who know puppy, that is serious.  He has been living on the bathroom counter for the last few days and nights.  She says she does not need him anymore.

I have to say though, she has said things like, "When this stuff wears off I'm sucking my thumb forever!"  And my favorite (about an hour after we put it on) "Momma, I think it's worked already, so I'm gonna go wash it off...."

Today she hasn't mentioned it one time.  Is this really the end?  The end of my sweet little thumb-sucking, puppy- tail-rubbing daughter?  Yeah, I think it is. 

And I'm blaming it all on Mavala.  Thank you. 
************************************************
Poptart is struggling with sucking her thumb.  She has become aware of late that it is sort of "babyish" and since she is about to turn 5 she thinks it is time to stop.  Her dentist and I agree.  (I can already see a change in her teeth). 

Enter Mavala.  It is a fingernail polish with a bitter taste that is supposed to stop thumb sucking in children.  Adults can use it too if you have a bad habit of biting your nails. 

We've been discussing doing this for days.  Some days Poptart would be all for it.  Some days she would break down in tears at the thought of it.  I told her I would do it whenever she was ready. 

She just brought me the bottle and asked me to put it on.  So I did.  Now I'm waiting.  Waiting for the tears, the begging to wash it off, the sleepless night. 

I'll let you know how it goes.......

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see if it works ... D bites his nails into the quick all the time and I've wondered how to get him to stop.

Anonymous said...

Speaking from experience....just ignor it and they will stop. I use to bite my nails all the time because my mom was always hounding me about it. I got married, moved away and have beautiful natural nails that have never seen a manicurist.