Friday, June 26, 2009

Farrah and Michael

I have had a long fascination with TV. Not just watching it (although I enjoy doing that), but behind the scenes as well. You know, how it all comes together.

Before I was an education major, I was a communications major (for one semester). Sometimes I wonder "what would have been" if I would have stayed in that major. You might have been watching me on your local news, who knows?

I'm saying this because yesterday was a HUGE news day. One that the talking heads live for. It wasn't good news, but does good news ever make for good news? Ya know what I mean?

I found out Farrah died while in the barber shop with my two kids. The discussion there was whether or not she should have filmed her entire battle with cancer and why on earth would she want to?

I have to confess, I've never been a big Farrah fan. Not because I have anything against her, but she was just slightly before my time. I've always heard her name, but never really felt any "connection" with her.

But the next news I heard was surprising. I was leaving Wal-Mart, tuned in to talk radio, barely paying attention, and heard the news of Michael Jackson's passing. Say huh? I quickly turned my attention to what the lady was saying, and wondered if I could have possibly misunderstood? No. I heard right. Michael Jackson was dead.

I rushed home and asked Brad if he had heard the news. He had not. I told him, and he didn't believe me! He thought surely I had misunderstood. He looked it up online and saw it for himself.

Unlike Farrah, Michael seemed to be more "known" to me. Beat It, Billie Jean, Thriller, the list could go on. We immediately cranked up his music on our laptop and said goodbye.

He was a weirdo. No doubt. But the dude could sing. And the dude could absolutely dance. No one can argue with that.

It will be interesting to see the outpouring of love from around the world for Michael. I'm sure it will come close to the scenes we saw after Princess Diana's death. I just wonder what Michael (and Farrah) would say to us now...........

With these two deaths, the Iran uproar, the S.C. governor's baffling (but surely not surprising?) behavior, this was a news day that makes me miss the career I never had!

No comments: