Monday, July 19, 2010

I Really Don't Want to Post This

The motto this year at VBS was "Need Answers? Ask God!"  So at the beginning of each class, my (2) 6th grade students would write questions to God on sticky notes and stick them up around the big question mark on the dry erase board. 

It didn't take long for me to see a pattern.  Is ________ (fill in the blank) bad to watch?  Is __________ bad to listen to?   Is ________ bad to read?

By the end of the week, it was clear to see just how much of a struggle it is for them to fight against "popular" media choices.  It was obvious they were having second thoughts about some of their choices, but just needed a little encouragement.   

One particular verse came to mind.  Philippians 4:8.

"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things."

On the last night of VBS, I shared this verse with them and told them it was the test.  When they are wondering if something is "good" or "bad" for them, put it to the test of Philippians 4:8. 

And as I talked I began to have these convicting thoughts about my own media choices.  (Why does that always seem to happen?)  Do I put all of our media choices to the test of Philippians 4:8?

We do not watch R rated movies.  And our rule is that if we can't watch something together as a family, we (Brad and I) probably do not need to be watching it at all.  And we do pretty good on that.  Well, at least I thought I did. 

The more I talked that night, the more the Holy Spirit began convicting me of a certain show I watch.  And later at home I was sharing about the class to Brad and very
s-l-o-w-l-y he brought up the issue of the same show. 

I have watched Young & The Restless since college.  Not every day mind you, especially during the school year, but over the summers I become, well, a little obsessed.  Y&R is different, right?  More classy than those other silly soap operas, right?  And I always turn it during the love scenes.....

I am going to stop, cold turkey.  I am not going to care whether Nick ends up with Sharon or Phyllis (although I am surely rooting for Phyllis).  I am not going to care what becomes of Adam.  And I am not going to care what crazy-girl Patty does next. 

You may think I am being silly about all this, and that's okay if you do.  You may not feel convicted about watching soap operas, and that is fine too.  I am definitely not trying to preach to anybody here.  I'm just telling you what the Holy Spirit has convicted me of, and what I'm going to try, try, try to do.  It won't be easy. 

So I've put it out there.  I watch Y&R and now I want to stop.  But I'll need your help.  Accountability partners, so to speak.  Keep me honest, people.  

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I believe God spoke to the adults teaching VBS last week as much (or more) as He did the kids.

I sympathize with you ... I used to watch Days faithfully. When I started to feel convicted about it, it was very hard to give it up and even now, I still fight the urge to watch it once in a while!

You can do it, though! Just type extra hard during that time :-)

Kim said...

I use this verse with my kids, but then fail to apply it to my own tv/reading habits! Thanks for the reminder to not be a hypocrite!