Tuesday, June 8, 2010

An Old Lady and Her Piano

Back in April I attended the Extraordinary Women Conference.  Just the other day the Lord brought back to mind a conversation I had with two nice women I sat beside. 

The two women were sisters, and they were around my mom's age.  They both had out their cell phones and were receiving texts, etc. on them during the conference.  I have to admit, I thought to myself, "Hmmm, it's not just the younger generation addicted to these things, huh?" 

But later on during one of the breaks, we were talking, and they explained why they felt the need to stay in touch. 

Their mother was still alive - I can't remember exactly how old they said she was, but it was upper 90s.  She had fallen and broken her hip that past week and they were concerned about her.  I could tell these sisters really loved their mother because their face lit up as they told me stories about her.  One of their stories is what I want to share with you. 

Their mother was the church pianist in her younger days, and apparently after all these years she could still sit down and play hymns. 

The daughters were laughing and telling me they would request a hymn, any hymn, and she would start playing it.  Amazing!  But then they told me no matter what hymn she started playing, the tune always ended up being "Mansion Over The Hilltop."  

Now, as a pianist, this is impressive to me.  She could play any song by memory, then fit "Mansion Over The Hilltop" in that song no matter what key.  Wow!

As Christians, shouldn't we be the same way?  No matter what we start off doing, saying, or singing, we should always end up telling others about what Jesus is preparing for us on the other side.  That should be our goal - through any conversation, particularly with those who do not know the Lord, to tell them about Heaven and how to get there. 

I pray that my life and my words will do just that.  But if I'm honest, I'm not great at it.  I'm not even kinda good at it.  I tend to let life bog me down into thinking about the here and now more than the hereafter. 

When I'm 90-something, I wonder if I'll still be pecking out hymns on my old piano.  I sure hope so. 

No comments: