Friday, June 4, 2010

My Not-So-Stressful Job Had Me Stressed Out Last Night

Funny, in my last post I mentioned how I only have one job to stress about in the summer and how that is so much easier on me.  Well, it is, but last night you couldn't have convinced me of that. 

In the medical transcription world, everything, and I mean everything is dependent upon technology.  Granted, I am very thankful I do not work back in the "old days" when the doctor's dictation was put on tapes and mailed to you or worse yet when you would have to go pick up the tapes, bring them home, transcribe them, then deliver the finished product.  I do see how that would get very time consuming, and well, I just can't imagine doing my job that way. 

So I am thankful I am doing this job in a technologically-forward era.  However, with that said, technology is always changing, evolving, updating, progressing, whatever you want to call it. 

Starting June 1st, all transcriptionists were required to change our work delivery program.  We had used our old one ever since I started this job (about 7 or 8 years ago) so I knew it was coming one day. 

I did okay with the new program until last night.  I was "experimenting", and after realizing I had uploaded things I never meant to upload, was sure I had crashed the entire program.  Delete, delete, how do I delete?  Then I heard a voice in my ear from a previous phone call, "Once you send a file, you cannot delete it."  "Just send a note explaining the error."  No! No! No! There was no way to fix my mistake.  I panicked, but Brad assured me everything was going to be alright and that I had not totally ruined the company's brand new program nor had I crashed the entire server.  I did send the note stating I was the dodo who had sent in the weird files, and also e-mailed the office just to reiterate it was me and that I was sorry for any inconvenience.  Looking back, I was probably being overdramatic, but I couldn't help it. 

I guess the problem wasn't as big as I made it out to be.  When I got up and checked this morning, the files sent in error had all been deleted, and I haven't gotten a what-the-heck-were-you-doing phone call today.  I would like to thank my hubby for talking me down out of my frenzy.  I'm sure it was hard not to laugh at me honey, but you took me serious, and I appreciate it. 

I'm thinking, instead of working in the summer, wouldn't it be nice to sit by the pool and sip lemonade all day?  But oh yeah, I don't have a pool. 

Oh well, back to typing. 

No comments: