Friday, January 8, 2010

The Moral Of This Story - Be Ready

I'm an SEC girl through and through, but last night's game had me rooting for a Texas Longhorn team I knew little about. 

If you watched the game, you know Colt McCoy got hurt in the first few minutes of the game.  I can't imagine his frustration-making it this far then getting hurt and watching from the sidelines. 

But the more compelling story to me was the poor young guy who had to step up and play quarterback in the national championship game, in front of 94,000+ fans in the stadium and who knows how many more on TV, and face the hardest possible opponent, Alabama. 

His name was Garrett Gilbert.  A true freshman.   He had thrown 26 college passes before last night.  I wish I could have seen his face the moment he realized he would be stepping onto the field.  Ummmm, are you sure, coach?  You know I'm not ready for this.  I can't do it.  I can't!  

At first it was just what everyone expected.  Overthrown balls, batted down balls, interceptions.  It wasn't looking good.  Halftime came and the commentators basically said Texas had zero chance with this guy at quarterback. 

The second half started and young Gilbert threw for several first down and then to everyone's surprise even two touchdowns.    Before you knew it, Texas had pulled within three points and yes, they had a chance!  What a story it would be if this quarterback - fresh from his high school prom - could pull the upset!

But, alas, it didn't happen.  Alabama ended up winning the game, but what an enjoyable game it was to watch. 

I am proud for the SEC, but to me the winners are Gilbert and all his teammates (including McCoy) who rallied around this inexperienced quarterback and somehow got him to believe he could do it. 

And he almost did. 

No comments: