Saturday, September 19, 2009

Cycles

There are cycles in life - we all know that. Things come. Things go. People come. People go.

Bold
Money comes. Money goes.

And that's the cycle I hate most. I like the money coming part. I hate the money going part. If you know us, you know we are not extravagant people. I am not a shopper, and we do not have the best of everything. My kids do not have the latest brand-name clothes, gadgets, movies, video games, etc., and we all wear hand-me-downs. I am not ashamed of this, no, just the opposite. I want my kids to understand there are more important things in life than the things money can buy. I also want them to see two parents working hard for the few nice things we do have.

Another cycle is the bill cycle. You know, the monthly bills that arrive like clockwork every month. It is around this particular time of month that I feel rather, well, poor. Every month after writing out the check for our mortgage, I feel this way. If you are blessed enough to live in a house that is paid for, please never take it for granted. Oh, the things we could do if we didn't have a house note!

In my despair, I turned to the scripture. God and God alone is enough for me and my family. Why do I worry? Why do I worry about tomorrow? Why do I worry about next month or the next?

It ought to be enough for me to look back and see the goodness of God evidenced throughout my entire life and the lives of each one of my family members and never doubt God's sufficiency again. But, I'm not that strong. Or maybe I should say I'm not that faithful. And for that I am ashamed.

You know one of my favorite devotion books is "Strengthen My Spirit" by Charles Spurgeon. I will leave you with today's devotion which is once again ever so appropriate.

You are my portion, O Lord. Psalm 119:57

.........but what is gold compared with God? You could not live on it; your spiritual life could not be sustained by it. But you have God, and in Him you have more than gold or riches could ever buy. Some have their portion in that which most men love-applause and fame-but is not God more to you than that? There are griefs in life that wealth cannot alleviate, and there is the deep need of a dying hour for which no riches can provide. But when you have God for your portion, you have more than all else put together. In Him every want is met, whether in life or in death. With God for your portion you are rich indeed, for He will supply your need, comfort your heart, ease your grief, guide your steps, be with you in the dark valley, and then take you home to enjoy Him as your portion forever.

Charles Spurgeon

No comments: