Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Preschool Graduation

So the Biggest Loser finale was last night-3 HOURS-and yes, I watched them all. It was awful. Yet again they s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d a show into three hours that could have been done in one. I'm telling you, this show disappointed me at the end. Brad didn't watch the first hour, watched some of the second hour, and got totally fed up and went to bed with 30 minutes left. Gogurt fell asleep with about 30 minutes left so I was the last one standing to see who the Biggest Loser was.

Helen won, and I thought I would be okay with that--until I saw her. She looked unhealthy, bones protruding, I swear she looked anemic. She weighed 117 pounds, and it wasn't a healthy 117 pounds. But anyway she won and it's over and I'm sorta glad.

When I crawled into bed, Brad wanted to know who won. "I'm not telling you," I said. He shoulda stayed up to find out. I found out this morning that after I fell asleep he got up and looked online to find out who won. That's so very funny (and slightly ridiculous) to me!

*****************

On a more serious note, my preschoolers graduated yesterday! They wore their cap & gowns and looked very, very grown up. I even gathered up my courage and spoke a few words to the crowd (which was fairly large) about how proud I was of these kids and how hard they had worked this year. I thought I would get teary-eyed at that point, but I didn't. I was too nervous.

Even though they graduated yesterday, we had school today. It was just a fun day, a day to do absolutely no work or anything that even closely resembled phonics, math, etc. We did show & tell, went outside and played with sidewalk chalk, cleaned out our room and their cubbies, and went back outside. A real fun day! But before we did that, I asked them to gather on the rug for one last time. I told them how much I had enjoyed teaching them and how much I loved each one of them. And then I prayed out loud for them and their first year of school. After the prayer I was the center of a loving, but almost scary-can't-breathe group hug. It was wonderful.

I have taught long enough to know that no matter how many times I say I will keep up with these kids, I will eventually lose contact with them and their families. That's just the way it works. But hopefully I have made some sort of impact on them for this short time I had the privilege to be a part of their lives. I pray I showed God's love through my words and my actions.

It was a great year, but I'm sure glad summer is finally here!

No comments: