Monday, February 7, 2011

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

This past weekend was quite a busy one, and it had absolutely nothing to do with the move. 

The kids were out of school Friday because of yet another non-producing ice storm we were to have.  I had agreed to take a good friend to the hospital for some oral surgery Friday morning, and although I was nervous about getting out on the roads at first, it ended up being fine, just like driving on a really, really rainy day.  Since the kids were out of school, Brad volunteered (gladly) to stay home from work and keep the kids entertained.  My friend's surgery went well, and she is recovering with a good bit of pain of course.  Hope you are feeling better today!

Gogurt spent the night with a friend Friday night, and Poptart was heartbroken she could not go as well.  She considers Gogurt's friends (especially this one) her friends as well, and she just can't quite understand why she cannot spend the night at the house of a 6th grade boy along  with her brother. 

To ease her hurt, I took her to see a local high school's performance of Annie.  I didn't tell her where we were going, only to get dressed and hop in the car! She was excited but since Poptart doesn't take to new situations all that easily, it immediately made her nervous.  She kept asking me where we were going.  I told her it was a secret.  She quickly blurted out emphatically, "I don't like secrets....'cuz I don't know how they end up!"  Hmmm, come to think of it, that's why I don't like secrets either, or any type of change for that matter. 

One we got there and she realized what was happening, she was perfectly fine.  The production was great, and we've been singing Annie songs all weekend long.  Poptart had only watched the movie Annie once, and it was just a few nights ago so we are new fans.  The song, "It's A Hard-Knocked Life" is perfect for her.  Poptart can tend to be dramatic about how "bad" her life is.  So now when she starts whining about something, I break into song.  It really annoys her.  But she stops the whining. 

Saturday was a day spent at a ladies conference at a local church.  And I'm kinda ashamed to admit it but when I got home, I basically sat and watched MSU play (and beat) LSU, barely.  Then Ole Miss came on and I watched them too.  What I'm trying to say is that I got nothing accomplished Saturday afternoon/evening/night.  I think we even ate cereal for supper that night.  Oh well. 

Sunday was a great day at church.  Unexpectedly, we brought 2 extra kids home with us from church.  It was great.  Each one of my kids had a playmate for the afternoon.  It wasn't a totally drama-free afternoon as my daughter had a breakdown after getting in some slight trouble for riding off without telling me where she was going.  She was crying and telling me she was never going anywhere for the rest of her life, not even to church.  I convinced her she was in fact going to church and we were leaving at that very moment.  Then, in the car, she kept saying, "I don't like myself, 'cuz I make bad choices."  Geez, where does she get this stuff? (And yes, I assured her we all make bad choices and she was still very much loved). 

I haven't forgotten that we are moving, but this past weekend was not devoted to that goal, not in the least.  Now I'm sitting here with a list of things I'm supposed to be doing.  Things that are devoted to the goal of being ready to load up on Saturday. 

I did finally tell one of our neighbors we were moving.  I believe he was sincere when he said he was sad to see us go, but I tried to lift his feelings by reminding him how much quieter it would be across the street now without the never-ending yard full of kids playing army/football/etc.  He said quieter wasn't always a good thing.  Awwwww, sweet. 

I am going to really, really try to post more this week than I normally do.  So check back often, k?  It's a big weekend for our family, and for more than just one reason!

Y'all have a great day!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Amy, I know you probably don't want to hear from me since I am the one who has caused all this by moving after only a year but there is one thing I ask and that is that you remember how hard it is for you to give up all your memories at that house and then think how hard it was for us to give up everything we had known for years,61 of them for me and remember we gave it a shot but even though ours didn't work out yours will if you kick that faith you have into gear. You have always been good at explaining things to the kids that most of the time makes them understand why what you are doing is for the families good so I'll ask that you keep favorable thoughts about the move from one street to another and they will be just fine as you will so, please don't be too upset with us we will be back as often as you'll have us or until our health keeps us from driving. We will miss you all very much and I am sorry it didn't work out. With all our love, Nana & Pop