Friday, January 7, 2011

Starting A New Year

This year has started out with its fair share of troubles.  I suppose we should not be surprised, nor discouraged, because God is in control of all situations.  Between my extended family, church family, and friends, everywhere I look there is a *crisis* situation.  Cancer, very sick children, surgeries, death, and broken relationships just to name a few. 

Going to church on Wednesday night is almost depressing sometimes.  We sit around and list all the sick/dying/lonely/broken people we know. Well, I guess it would be depressing if we didn't end the night with wrapping these people in prayer.  And honestly, right now, I don't feel I have enough minutes in the day to give all the situations surrounding the people I love their due time in prayer. 

I am looking forward to this year however.  As I mentioned before, our family will be doing something we haven't done in 10 years.  Can you guess?  Also, our pastor has set aside 2011 as the year of faith for our church and in our personal lives.  Boy, I struggle with that.  You know, doing something in and with your life that only God could do.  The decisions that make absolutely no normal sense, but you do it anyway in faith?  Oh yes, I struggle with that.  I do hope that this year can be a beginning point in my life with my faith-walk.  And I do think that God has shown me to take baby steps, and perhaps before I know it I'll be taking big giant leaps of faith.  That would definitely be a miracle!

Okay, completely changing the subject, we finally heard from Titus!  We sponsor a 7-yr-old boy from Haiti through Compassion International and finally received a letter from him this week! We were quite relieved to hear he was okay, given the disasters happening in Haiti.  His aunt actually wrote the letter for him in their native language which we think is some sort of Haitian Creole.  Of course, it was translated into English for us!

He is doing well in school and really likes music.  He lives in a house that is covered with a sheet of metal and says he is near the project.  He thanked us for choosing him and wanted to share a verse with us:

"For the Mighty One has done great things for me-holy is His name."
Luke 1:49

How awesome is that!  I can't wait to get to know Titus better and better through the years!

Speaking of Titus and his home country of Haiti, I would like to invite you to watch Franklin Graham address Haitians at the Festival of Hope. 
We are barely home from church by 12:30 central time but if I can, I would like to watch this.  I'm wondering if he will mention the shoe boxes that were sent to Haiti, which, by the way, our church group helped process at the Processing Center in Atlanta. 

Until next time,

Amy

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That is exciting about Titus. Can't wait to hear more about this little boy.

About Wednesday nights, I think the word that describes it for me is "overwhelmed" with the amount of suffering in our small community of believers. But, I agree, it would be depressing if we didn't have the opportunity to lift them up in prayer.